Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Am I going crazy, or just.... already there?

So okay, it's been almost a year since I have used this fucking thing. But guess what, shit happens. No internet for like seven months puts a real kink in the system, too. And I don't simply mean I didn't have internet at home - I had almost no access to it. Turns out my city library wouldn't let me on because well, I let my mom use my card during that time when I wasn't living with her, and needless to say, she racked up waayyy too many fines. Anyhoo, by the time I had any net access, I was busy filling out job applications, and getting ready for a) my baby to arrive in the U.S. (finally!), and b) for school to start. So, then I had ten times less time for blogging once the latter took place, and am surprised at all that I made it this soon. In fact, I'm certain the only reason I did is due to the fact that one of my classes just ended over the weekend. We got our final grades back today (I got mine back Sunday since I had no missing work) and was surprised to find I finished with basically a 96, even through all the crap and problems I had in it. One of our assignments was to right a 3-5 minute play, consisting of no more than 3 places, 3 people, and 3 scenes. Also, there was supposed to be a message and a dramatic question.... We were asked to post our plays for everyone to read and tell the message. Honestly, I don't know if people could get any dumber... Not a single person knew what the message of my play was, and only a few came close. Now, naturally I wouldn't just assume they were all idiots and write them off - my teacher, my uncle (who never made it past 9th grade, mind you) my mother, and my girlfriend all figured it out without a single problem. Now, considering how different they all are, is it really too much to ask a few handfuls of college students to be able to do the same? What I really love is the fact that when we posted our rough drafts, one classmate actually commented that my play was "too complicated for a drama 105 class." Seriously?!? This isn't high school any more, people! Which is also what I would ADORE telling some people in my Journalism class as well. They sit there and fucking myspace in the middle of the class lecture, as though the professor can't see the computer screens! He isn't blind, which many of them learned last week when he finally went off on them. My point of bringing this up, though, is the fact that they treat seemingly all the aspects of that class the same way. None of them seem to know how to count, either. I may have forgotten to add that I'm the distribution manager for the school's newspaper - well, ok, maybe not maybe. It's my job to make sure that circulation stays up. And most of them agreed to put only 25-ish papers in their spots, but so far haven't gotten a handle on that yet - and that was two weeks ago. So, I put out a - very polite for me - email to them, and am going to have to hand them their papers as though they're all in kindergarten again.

My other drama class, radio and voice-over, is having midterms right now. I wrote up a commercial, did paperwork to go along with it so my teacher understand the pov of it, and recorded it for playback in class. However, she wasn't really feeling great Monday, so we left early, and mine wasn't one of the ones she pulled from the pile before the end. I have a fourth class I'm taking - Music 190. We have brand new teacher - our original one was awesome, but he was going to get cut next semester since it was the only class he taught, and had to get a new job, which required him transferring right away. Our replacement is actually the head of the dept., which is fine - until we found out we had tests. I don't mind it, I just find it odd that she told us they were mandated by the state when our other teacher wasn't going to make us have any.

So, why am I going crazy? Well, even with my online class being done, I still have 3 more that don't make for the greatest schedule, especially considering one of them lasts until after 8 twice a week. The other two both start before 12, and with my managing duties, taking the tram for almost an hour twice a day, homework and errands, its no wonder I haven't been able to secure a decent job. Okay, yeah I do have one - that I haven't even trained for even though they hired me three weekends ago. So my part that I most def need training for is only on weekends, and the first two times my new boss was unable to do it. The third, because I had midterms for two classes and finals for one, I opted to focus on school instead - sorry if that was a dumb move. But the problems of not having job that allows me to get all my school shit done and still earn money is really weighing down on me, especially in the guilt dept. As of now, my girlfriend takes care of me - as best she can- because she realizes how hard things are for me. And yeah, I suppose I could've gotten a job rather than take the position on the paper that I did, but guess what? I'm inclined to believe it really has not that much affect - on the job level, not the time and stress levels. Why? Mainly because I didn't start out there - for the first five-ish weeks of school, I was just a normal staff member. It was only after I realized I was really getting nowhere in the job dept that I decided to sieze this added responsibility. Not to mention, thez really needed someone to do it, considering the mess it was beforehand. My props to my managing editor, however, for keeping the mess as small as he did considering he had been doing that, plus his regular position and photo editing at the same time.

Needless as it is to point out, all this school shit is causing problems between me and my girl. We don't spend enough time together, we spend too much time together, the time we spend together isn't REALLY together. She's got two honors classes and two other classes because she's completely nuts, and she's treasurer of our campus LGBT group. We fight too much, we don't talk enough, and things get.... lost. I wish we had more "us time", but it really isn't happening. She doesn't even really have personal time, whereas I do. Maybe not a lot, but I squeeze it in. It kind of obvious you don't spend enough time with your girlfriend when you're excited to go shopping with her, or run to get water at one in the morning with her.

My crazy really needs to leave.

That all being said, I seem to be doing good in my classes, which is really important considering I need a 3.5 to transfer, but I want a 4.0. I have a better chance of getting money to actually attend school that way. Anyways, I had a review that I wrote for the paper that came out in today's issure that my editor loved so much she apparently spent an hour and half on the accompanying artwork, and mine made the top of the page. I know I have an A in my voice-over class simply because our teacher doesn't grade us on performance because she doesn't believe that's fair. Instead, she grades the paperwork that goes along with it. If you have what you're supposed to and it's good, you get all the points. In my music class so far we've only had one project, so therefore one grade. So yes, I've got all A's as of now, but.... what will the end turn out to be? That's what scares me, and it's making me crazy.

No comments: